1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Use a sharp knife to cut the entire top of the potato into thin crosswise slices (about ⅛-inch thick), stopping about three-quarters of the way down the potato so the base stays in tact and the pieces remain attached to the base.
3. Rub 1 tablespoon butter evenly across the top of each potato. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper, and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Roast the potatoes until they are golden and easily pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle each baked potato with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons bacon. Push some of the toppings between the potato slices. Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook until the bacon is crisp and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes more.
6. Let the potatoes cool for 5 minutes before serving.